Arachnophobia means the fear of spiders. These eight legged creatures are so feared because of their agile and unpredictable movements.
Spiders kill their food using web traps and venom; in most species this venom is only harmful to their prey such as insects, small mammals, birds and reptiles. However, there are only a dozen or so whose venom is harmful to humans and, contrary to popular belief, they are also usually quite small.
How do spiders get inside your home? They can enter houses and other structures, through cracks and other openings. They also might hitchhike inside on items like plants, firewood and boxes.
So here are some practical tips on how to unweave their webs and get rid of spiders:
- Regular vacuuming or sweeping of windows, corners of rooms, storage areas and basements will help remove spiders and their webs. Vacuuming spiders can be an effective control technique, because their soft bodies usually don’t survive this process. Tip: if you find a dust-covered web, it is no longer being used by a spider.
- Seal cracks in the foundation, along siding and gaps around windows and doors.
- Install good screening on widows and vents.
- Place boxes off the floor and away from walls, wherever possible. Seal boxes with tape to prevent spiders from taking up residence inside.
- Clean up clutter in garages, sheds, crawlspaces and other storage areas.
- Keep the area next to your home’s foundation free of trash, leaf litter and heavy vegetation.
Don’t let spiders take over your home! Our experienced team at West Vancouver, North Vancouver, Vancouver, Burnaby & New West, Coquitlam & Tri-Cities, and Richmond Pest Control is ready to help you reclaim your living space. Whether you’re dealing with a minor spider issue or a full-blown infestation, our professional pest control services are tailored to meet your specific needs. Don’t wait any longer—contact us today for a free consultation and let us help you keep your home spider-free!