Not all insects are bugs, but all bugs are insects
It’s a bit confusing, right? So to make things simpler: within the insect world, not all of them are bugs but all of them are insects. Although it’s acceptable to interchange the two words, true bugs lack teeth and have tough fore wings. They also have a stylet, a straw-like mouth that is intended for sucking. Insects, on the other hand, have three-part bodies and usually have two pairs of wings and three pairs of legs.
There are over 12,000 species of ants on earth. Check out some mildly terrifying, but mostly cool, facts about the ant.
- The total weight of all the ants in the world is equal to that of all humans in the world.
- Of all insects, ants have the longest lifespan. They can live up to 30 years.
- In proportion to its size, the ant is one of the strongest creatures on earth.
- Some ant species make slaves out of other ant species.
- Ants and humans are the only two species that farm other creatures. Ants farm aphids in a mutualistic relationship.
Here are some crazy facts about the cockroach.
- A cockroach can live for about a week without it’s head. Cockroaches breath through small holes in their body segments, so they don’t rely on their mouth for breathing. They will eventually die of starvation.
- They can run up to 3 miles per hour!
- The largest cockroach in the world is found in South America and is about 6 inches long with a 1 foot wing-span. Yikes!
They are named due to their silvery, metallic appearance, fish-like shape and quick movements. Silverfish tend to hide their presence from humans, which means any damage they cause could go unnoticed.
Naked Truth: The courting and mating ritual of the silverfish is quite prolonged as it consists of three phases. During phase one, the male and female face each other, touch antennae, back off and repeat. Then, in phase two, the male runs away while the female chases him. Finally, during the third and final phase, they line up side-by-side, head to tail and complete their mating ritual.
Needless to say, if your home or business has pest control needs, it’s time to call in the experts. Contact Pestcheck today for a free quote. Our Burnaby pest control technicians, Richmond pest control technicians, Coquitlam pest control technicians, West Vancouver pest control technicians and North Vancouver pest control technicians are here to help.