Is your kid a student visiting home for the weekend or for the holidays? Then you should be proactive in protecting your home from bed bugs. Bed bugs hitchhiking rides to and from campus along with your kids. Student dorms and apartment complexes are hot spots for bed bugs. It only takes a few hitchhikers on your son or daughter’s belongings to bring an infestation into your home.
Here are a few tips on bed bug prevention in student dorms and apartments:
- Inspect luggage for signs of bed bugs before you pack
- All secondhand furniture should be inspected to ensure that it is free of any bed bug evidence
- the mattress and all furniture in the room
- Buy a mattress encasement if your school doesn’t provide them
- Look out for blood spots on linens and clothes
- Be careful of picking up water bugs in public swimming pools or hot tubs.
- Check for fecal spotting on and inside the box spring and box spring frame
- Inspect area around the bed for shed skins, eggs and live bugs
What if your student does brings home bed bugs? What now? Follow these tips:
- Leave bags and luggage in the garage
- Empty the luggage and bags as soon as possible
- Put clothing or linens into the dryer right away and dry for 30 to 60 minutes on HIGH
- Keep an eye out for black spots in seams, dust skirts and fitted sheets
- Vacuum all luggage and bags
- Wash all containers that cannot be vacuumed
- Wipe down laptops, phones etc.
- You should also be aware of the signs of silverfish infestations and take steps to remove them if they are present.
Bed bugs in your home are a sure way to ruin what should have been a great time spent with your child! Don’t let these unwanted guests ruin your peace of mind. If you suspect a pest infestation or want to take preventive measures, we’re here to help. Our pest control experts are trained to identify and eliminate pests effectively, with minimal disruption to your daily life. We offer pest control services in West Vancouver, North Vancouver, Vancouver, Burnaby & New West, Coquitlam & Tri-Cities, and Richmond. Visit our city pages to learn more about our services in your area and book a consultation today.
- Landlord vs Tenant – Who Pays for Pest Control?
- Under Construction: Carpenter Bees
- Too Many Ants Spoiling Your Picnic?
- Facts About the Asian Giant Hornet
- Are Carpenter Ants in Your House?
- Pantry Bugs: Who Else is Eating Your Cereal???
- How to Get Rid of Moisture Ants
- Fruit Fly: Get Rid of Fruit Flies