Do you think you have a silverfish infestation in your home? Are you wondering how these creepy little pests are getting in? You’re not alone. Silverfish make most people scratch their head when they start popping up in unexpected places. But, as you see them more and more, you may begin to notice a pattern. They seem to pop up in places that have a lot of humidity or moisture. Places such as the bathroom, laundry room, or basement.
A silverfish is a very small insect with a flattened, slender body. It measures around ½ to 1 inch in length and it is light grey and blue but, since it has a shimmery quality, it often appears silver (thus the name). The other part of its name, no doubt, came about because of its way of slithering across surfaces in a fish-like motion. Although these creepy creatures are disturbing to come across, you should know they are also damaging your belongings.
Do silverfish live in my yard?
You find silverfish in moist and humid places both inside and outside of your home. So, anyplace that traps moisture on the ground is a great place for silverfish to hang out. Here are some of the things that will draw silverfish onto your property and possibly right up next to your home.
- Leaf piles that are moist on the bottom. And the closer these piles are to your home, the more likely these pests may find their way inside.
- Heavily weeded areas that contain moisture. Thick weeds create shade, and shade does not allow the sun to get in and dry out soil after it rains. This is another place silverfish will hide.
- Wood lying on the ground. Items such as firewood, construction materials, or other wooden objects that are directly on the ground are great places for silverfish and other pests to hang out. Not only moisture-loving pests but also rodent pests such as mice and rats.
- Any object that prevents the ground from drying. Large rocks, tarps, toys; these are just a few things that could keep the ground moist and be a harborage for silverfish.
- Mulch is a favorite place for moisture pests.
- Clogged or broken gutters. If you have water running down the outside of your home, or water collecting in the soil, this will create conditions that silverfish love. Beyond this, it can also cause the wood on your home to soften, which will make it easier for pests to chew their way in.
How do silverfish get inside my home?
Silverfish are hitchhiking insects like the bed bug. They get carried into your home on books, furniture, clothing, boxes and other items. They can also get in through the walls and foundations of your home, especially in an old house. You might want to check out our article on silverfish removal tips.
Where do silverfish hide?
Silverfish prefer moist areas. The first place you’ll usually see them is on the bathroom floor. If you see one silverfish, there is a good chance there are hundreds living in your walls. A single female can lay 100 eggs in her lifetime and it only take 3 months from egg to adult. It doesn’t take long for silverfish populations to get out of hand. They will crawl through your wall voids, pass through attic crawl spaces, get into moist basements, near coin operated washers and dryers, and other dirty moist areas.
How do I get rid of silverfish?
Silverfish are hard to get rid of as they can’t be driven away by hiding food and water sources. A silverfish can live without food and water for a year. You can, however, make them less comfortable by ventilating moist areas and using a dehumidifier. This won’t eradicate them, but it will drive some away, and can keep the rest from coming out of the walls.
If you are dealing with silverfish inside your home, chiropractor or physio clinic, don’t hesitate to call for help. Our educated pest technicians have the knowledge, the tools, and the expertise to get rid of your silverfish problem in no time at all.
Don’t let silverfish take over your home. If you’re dealing with a silverfish infestation, it’s time to take action! Our professional pest control services are available across the region, including West Vancouver, North Vancouver, Vancouver, Burnaby & New West, Coquitlam & Tri-Cities, and Richmond. No matter where you’re located, our expert technicians are here to help you eliminate silverfish and protect your home from future infestations. Don’t wait any longer – call today for a fast, effective solution to your silverfish problem.